Sunday, November 29, 2009

Luxurious Laundry


San Lorenzo
Originally uploaded by romephotoblog

I love my washer and dryer: the supersize front-loading washing machine and the tumble dryer with upper compartment for hanging items to dry or scent them with fabric softener. The dryer even has screens that slide into the top compartment, on which to place your sweaters and whatnot, for drying items flat, per the instructions on the garment label. I rather like doing laundry - nearly instant gratification, when you consider it takes little more than an hour for the wash and dry, and a few minutes to fold.

As I was walking through Boston a few weeks ago, I spied a gigantic laundromat, well-lit and well-appointed, with so many machines and dispensers for detergents for every type of fabric imaginable - it seemed the perfect place for getting the job done. The only problem as I see it is getting your stuff there and getting it back home. I know people do this every day of the week and don't think twice about it, but for me it seems like a chore I'd avoid until the last pair of clean socks was gone. It got me thinking that every place I've ever lived has had a washer and dryer. Pretty luxurious life I've lived. Doing laundry, to me, is one of the simple pleasures of life and I'm not ashamed to admit it! I'll never take my washer and dryer for granted.

Photo courtesy of Jessica Stewart - for more from Jessica, please go to Rome Photo Blog.

1 comment:

Chelsey said...

*sigh* I love my washer & dryer too. I have lived places without ... & have had to go to laundromats ... and have had family & friends in other countries where they get their stuff laundered b/c no one has a washer & dryer ... interesting to think about. I quite enjoy doing laundry myself :) there's just something relaxing about it!