Saturday, December 26, 2009

Resolved


The year 2009 resolves to black and 2010 bursts to the forefront. Perhaps it's less a "burst" and more a fade-in. The change to a new year is not a big deal really, I just like to acknowledge and make sure I'm still on track with the same basic resolutions I've had for the last ten years.


Here's my current list:

  • Take time for gratitude daily
  • Exercise the body
  • Exercise the vocal cords
  • Learn something new
  • Laugh as often as possible

If I stick to this list I feel good about myself. It's that simple. It's also (although they may not realize it) good for my husband and two sons, my parents, siblings and my friends. Other beneficiaries include the customers and vendors of our business, my hairdresser and that nice tailor who hems my gig dresses. Everyone, really.

Taking care of myself
positively translates to physical and mental energy reserves for the rest of my life. It makes me a happier person; a better wife, mother, friend. Not a new concept, but putting it down on paper (even virtual paper) makes it seem more personal and valid. Incorporating the gratitude, exercise, learning and laughing into my daily life (instead of viewing them as chores) has evolved over time - I can get off track on occasion, but mostly it works well - sticky notes around the house or writing in a journal remind me when life overtakes my good intentions.

I received a copy of Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" as a Christmas gift, as well as a new yoga mat and some wonderful DVDs and books, so my resolutions will be a pleasure to continue. For these gifts and my family and friends, I'm so grateful.

No comments: